7th Virginia Cavalry (Ashby's Ranger)
The 7th Virginia Cavalry called Ashby’s Ranger after it’s commander Turner Ashby, was originally organized by Colonel Angus W. McDonald, Sr., in the early part of 1861. The regiment spent that year operating in the neighborhood of Harpers Ferry and Romney, West Virginia. However, by the spring of 1862, the 7th Virginia Cavalry, was more frequently called "Ashby's Cavalry" although he had brought only Company A, the Mountain Rangers to it in 1861. The 7th Virginia Cavalry served with Gen. T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson in the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862. Here they were very active. In one 28 day period they fought 32 separate actions. Jackson called Ashby one of the finest partisan officers of the war.
After Gen. Ashby's death in battle in 1862, the unit served under Gen. Wm. E. "Grumble" Jones' Brigade, and under Gen. Thomas L. Rosser of the Laurel Brigade. The regimental commander for most of the war was Col. Richard H. Dulany. Company A was led by Captain Daniel Cooke Hatcher.
In 1863, the 7th Virginia Cavalry took part in the famous Jones-Imboden Raid into Western Virginia, fought in the great mounted battle at Brandy Station, won a cavalry victory at Fairfield, PA in the Gettysburg Campaign, and served in the Wilderness Campaign. In 1864 they fought at Ream's Station, the "Beefsteak Raid," Trevilian Station, and Cedar Creek.
The 7th Virginia Cavalry was at Appomattox Court House in April 1865, but many, before the Confederate lines were enveloped, succeeded in breaking through and were not forced to surrender. Disbanding and going home, the men tried to return to their post-war lives. The 7th Virginia Cavalry suffered 571 casualties with 118 killed during the war.