<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 05/26/2017 11:26 AM | Michael Ranger (Administrator)

    Alvin D.”Pop” Ezzell, 95, of Round Rock, Texas, member of the 1st and 3rd Ranger Battalions of WWII, passed away Wednesday May 17, 2017.

    Alvin D. Ezzell, (Pop), 95, of Round Rock, Texas, passed away Wednesday May 17, 2017. He was born in Taylor, Texas, on June 6, 1921, to Edna Mae Wood and Ralph Taylor Ezzell. He spent his early childhood in Taylor and then moved to San Antonio, Texas in his early teenage years where he lived with his Aunt Ree and Uncle Charlie Herbert and later graduated from Brackenridge High School in 1939. After high school, he joined the Texas National Guard, 141st infantry, 36th division, where he began a decorated 22 year career in the U.S. Army.

    On October 18, 1941, he married Virginia Adams, the love of his life. They were blessed with nearly 73 wonderful years together in marriage. In May of 1942, he volunteered for overseas service and he was stationed in London, England, in the Inspector General’s Office. On December 7, 1942, his daughter Bonnie Gay Ezzell was born while he was overseas serving our country; meeting her for the first time after World War II (WWII) ended in 1945. In June of 1942, he became restless with his office job and once again volunteered to further serve our great country and applied for Army Ranger training in Dundee, Scotland which was vigorous training by the British Commandos. After graduation from Ranger training, he became a member of the elite fighting force known as the Darby’s Rangers, commanded by Colonel William Orlando Darby. He was a proud member of both the 1st and 3rd Ranger Battalions of WWII. From August of 1942 – January of 1944, he participated in numerous battles, invasions and raids throughout North Africa, France, and Italy. On January 30, 1944, after the invasion at Anzio, Italy, he was captured by German forces and was a prisoner of war for nearly seventeen months. He returned to the “Good Ole USA” in 1945 after being liberated. In 1950, he volunteered for the U.S. Army’s first helicopter pilot training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. In November of 1951, he once again volunteered for service and went overseas to Korea as a cargo helicopter pilot flying numerous missions over his sixteen months tour of duty in Korea. He later became a helicopter flight instructor and later Chief of Flight Operations at Camp Wolters in Minerals Wells, Texas. In July of 1963, Alvin retired from active service as a Chief Warrant Officer III. He was a proud recipient of many decorations, medals, citations and ribbons, including the bronze star, purple heart, good conduct medal, combat infantry badge, distinguished unit badge, 7 overseas bars, army aviation badges, air medal with cluster and senior army aviation badge, to name just a few. He was proud of his service to our country and was equally proud to be a member of the Darby’s Rangers. “Rangers Lead the Way” was the motto by which he lived his long and blessed servient life.

    After his military career, Pop worked for the Texas Highway Department for over 10 years in Johnson City, Texas. After retirement, he stayed busy either ginning cotton in Williamson, County Texas or assisting shearing mohair in Uvalde, Texas at the Stone Ranch. He was an amazing husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, brother, uncle and friend to many. He was a diehard University of Texas Longhorn fan and was a season football ticket holder for many years; he bled burnt orange and had many great memories attending games with family and friends. He enjoyed hunting with his son-in-law and grandsons and had many great memories fishing on the Rio Grande with his life-long buddies. He was an avid gardener and enjoyed being outdoors doing just about anything.  He also enjoyed traveling in his RV with his wife Virginia spending time at the Texas coast or just about anywhere in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. He and Virginia also enjoyed many wonderful years boating, fishing and living on Lake LBJ.

    Pop, thank you for all of the wonderful memories and times together and your dedicated sacrifice and service to our country. You’re a true American hero and a chartered member of the greatest generation that will be missed by all who knew you. We are grateful for the nearly 96 years of your life and hope you can now rest in eternal peace as you enter God’s kingdom. As you would say, “Here’s to it and to it again and if we ever get to it, we will do it again.”

    He is preceded in death by his wife Virginia Ezzell, his daughter Bonnie Jehl and his son-in-law Carl Jehl, Sr. He is survived by his grandchildren, Carl Jehl, Jr. and Robin Branham, Chuck and Marilyn Jehl, Rick and Tina Jehl, his great grandchildren, Jake, Jared, Hunter, Taylor, Jason and Jaxon Jehl, his sisters Peggy Massey and Joy Welsh and his extended family, Jack and Susan Stone. 

    The family would services were held at Beck Funeral Home in Round Rock, Texas on Monday May 22, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. Visitation will be held prior to the funeral services from 9:00 – 10:00 am.

    like to thank the staff at Wyoming Springs assisted living for all of the wonderful care and love for Pop over the years and would also like to thank the team at Accolade Hospice for the incredible care and service to him over the past few months.


  • 04/22/2017 12:00 PM | Michael Ranger (Administrator)

    Oldest Merrill’s Marauder MG Milton Pilcher dies at 100
    By Jonnie Melillo Clasen

    Retired MG Milton A. Pilcher, 100, died peacefully shortly before noon Easter Sunday in Virginia.  He was the oldest living original Merrill’s Marauder. Pilcher served as a communications officer with Merrill’s Marauders and Mars Task Force for 18 months in the China Burma India Theater. 

    My brother and his wife and my husband and I were all there to pray with him and tell him how much everyone loved him,” said his daughter, Ann McKenzie, following her father’s death. 

    Pilcher died on the 73rd Easter Sunday anniversary of Merrill’s Marauders 2nd Battalion being rescued by the 3rd and 1st battalions after being surrounded for almost two weeks by the Japanese at the battle of Nphum Ga, Burma.

    Pilcher had distinguished careers in both the military and public administration. Prior to his service during WW II, he was employed by the Kentucky Power Company and then the Rural Electrification Administration from 1938 to 1942.

    Following his service in the China, Burma India Theater, Pilcher served as assistant signal officer with the Second Army in Tennessee, and in the Office of the Chief Signal Officer in the Pentagon until relieved from active duty in 1946. Pilcher served in the U.S. Army Reserve as a USAR School Director and then as a member and later commander of the 352nd Civil Affairs Command located at Georgetown University from 1946 to 1968. 

    He was in the Executive Office of the President of the United States for 11 years, from 1949 to 1960.        

    He was promoted to brigadier general in 1966. He was appointed Deputy Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Military Operations, Department of the Army, and promoted to major general in 1968. Pilcher was appointed commander of the 310th Field Army Support Command, Washington, DC in 1972 and served until retirement in 1974. 

    His decorations include the Legion of Merit, and recognition as a Distinguished Member of the U.S. Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment, and the Civil Affairs Corps Regiment. He received the AUSA award for distinguished service in 1995. 

    Funeral arrangements for Pilcher, who will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, are being handled by:

    Murphy Funeral Home
    4510 Wilson Boulevard
    Arlington, Virginia 22203
    (703) 920-4800 | MAP

    Those wishing to send condolences can mail them to:

    Murphy Funeral Home
    1532 Dahlia Court
    McLean, Virginia 22101-3312


    Jonnie Melillo Clasen
    706 689-0153 H
    828 230-8724 C - no texts


    Pilcher as a young officer

    Pilcher in a communication briefing with the Chinese during WW II   

    Pilcher taken at his military retirement with his friend, GEN Frederick C. Weyand, who served as ‎commander of American forces in Vietnam in the final year of the war  

  • 02/12/2017 12:00 PM | Michael Ranger (Administrator)

    Johnny Mercer McClellan died unexpectedly on Sunday, February 12, 2017. 

    He was born on August 18, 1948, in Frankfurt, Germany to Stan Leon & Phyllis Irene McClellan.

    Johnny graduated from West Point in 1970. He continued to serve in the US Army Infantry, Ranger, Paratrooper and Special Forces officer until 1977, including two and a half years in Vietnam and SE Asia. He resigned as a Captain.

    Johnny became engaged to KimOanh Tran in 1977 and later married her in 1978. That same year, Johnny joined IBM where he continued to work until 1993 in systems engineering and sales. After his time with IBM until 2011, Johnny was a residential Realtor in Gaithersburg, MD. There he participated in more than 450 transactions and owned and operated his own Century 21 franchise for 8 years.

    A good son to his parents, brother to his sister, a kind and fun cousin to his cousins, a loving husband and best friend to his wife, a beloved son-in-law, brother-in-law, and uncle-in-law to all of his in-laws, a kind and loyal friend to his friends, a good neighbor to his neighbors. Johnny enjoyed being in the outdoors, hunting and fishing. He was an antique car enthusiast and enjoyed his antique gun collection.

    Johnny was a good man and fun person, he will be greatly missed by all. He is survived by his beloved wife, KimOanh McClellan; sister, Karen McClellan.

    John was a Life Member of USARA.

    Friends and family are invited on Sunday, February 19 from 10:00 am to 11:00 am for a Buddhist ceremony. A visitation will then follow from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, with a Buddhist cremation ceremony starting at 1:00 pm at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home, 9902 Braddock Rd. Fairfax, VA 22032.

  • 01/18/2017 6:00 PM | Anonymous

    Dr.  Joseph Hamilton Hilsman Jr.  of Atlanta died on Jan. 18, just four days before his 103rd birthday.

    Joseph Hilsman knew at a very young age that he wanted to be a doctor, and he never wavered.  He pursued that goal through medical school at Vanderbilt University and as a U.  S.  Army medical officer on World War II battlefields who participated in liberating the Buchenwald concentration camp.  Hilsman not only became a physician but enjoyed a career that spanned more than four decades and was the first gastroenterologist at Piedmont Hospital.

     “My father always claimed that he wanted to be a doctor since he was in diapers, and it probably wasn’t far from the truth,” said Hilsman’s son, Joseph “Skip” Hamilton Hilsman III of Atlanta.  “When I was a teenager and didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do with my life, he couldn’t understand that.  He not only always knew his calling and followed it, but he was very, very good at it.  He chose a profession in which he excelled in every way.”

    “My father enjoyed a long, productive life and was sharp until the end,” he added.  “His longevity is probably due in no small part to his belief in keeping busy and avoiding excesses.  He did things he loved to do, spent time with people he cared about and who cared about him, and led a wonderful, full life.”

    Hilsman was born at home at 13th Street and West Peachtree on Jan.  22, 1914, one of four children of Joseph Hamilton Hilsman and Mary Bogle Hilsman.  He attended Spring Street School and Boys High School for a year before going to the Lawrenceville School in New Jersey, where he played on the tennis and baseball teams.  He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1936 and Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in 1941. 

    Hilsman was in the Vanderbilt ROTC and was inducted into the Army in the spring of 1942, months after the attack on Pearl Harbor.  He became an instructor at Camp Picket, Virginia, giving first aid courses, digging foxholes and inspecting kitchens.  He was sent to Camp Adair in Oregon the next spring as a battalion surgeon.  During his year there, he volunteered for duty overseas, but his commanding officer said since he was the only physician on the base he could not be spared. 

    In 1944, he went to England with the 558th Field Artillery Battalion and was there until after the invasion of Normandy, then moved with the Third Army until the Battle of the Bulge.  Later, he volunteered as a medical officer for the Fifth Rangers.  Hilsman was eventually assigned to the military police and was one of the first medical officers to liberate Buchenwald. 

    “I think the personal experience he had there, seeing the horrors at Buchenwald and knowing there were so many people beyond help, deepened his resolve to help others through the practice of medicine,” Skip Hilsman said.  “He said here wasn’t a day that went by that he didn’t think of that experience and all those lives lost.”

    After being away from a hospital environment four years in the Army, in 1946, Hilsman redid his internship at Barnes Hospital in St.  Louis.  He then spent a year at Grady Hospital in Atlanta and a year at the University of Pennsylvania completing a fellowship in gastrointestinal disease.  He returned to Atlanta and within a few years joined Piedmont Hospital where “Dr.  Joe” became the first gastroenterologist on the staff.  He closed his gastroenterology practice in the late 1980s but later returned to Piedmont as an emergency room doctor, where he was appointed medical director.

    Dr.  W.  Perry Ballard III, an oncologist at Piedmont, described his friend and fellow physician as a mentor and role model who was “totally dedicated to his patients and his profession.

    “We all greatly admired him,” Ballard said.  “When most doctors close their practice, they go off to relax and play golf.  Not Joe.  He never slowed up.  After leaving his gastroenterology practice, he came back to work in the emergency room at Piedmont.  He had boundless energy and enthusiasm for medicine and his patients.”

    After finally retiring in 1995, Hilsman went to work in an auto body shop to focus on his hobby of restoring old Volkswagen Beetles and Karmann Ghias.  In his later years, he spent time with family, read military books and traveled.  He was a longtime member of the Piedmont Driving Club and First Presbyterian Church and a founding member of the David, Helen and Marian Woodward Fund.

    Hilsman is survived by his wife, Vangie House McKenzie Hilsman of Atlanta; his three sons, Joseph “Skip” Hamilton Hilsman III, David L.  Hilsman and Clayton W.  Hilsman; a step-daughter, Jenny McKenzie Stebbins, and a stepson, Ray McKenzie, all of Atlanta; and nine grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.

    A private burial service was scheduled Jan.  26 at Westview Cemetery followed by a memorial reception hosted by the family in the McRae Auditorium at Piedmont Hospital.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Piedmont Healthcare Foundation, Piedmont Atlanta Hospital Emergency Department General Fund.

  • 12/20/2016 6:00 PM | Anonymous

    Command Sergeant Major Joseph Lewis Mattison, United States Army Retired, and a Registered Nurse, passed away at his home on North Main Street in Wellsville, N.Y., on the afternoon of Tuesday December 20, 2016.

    Joe was born to Ron and Earsol (nee Barnes) Mattison in April of 1955 in Bordeaux, France, while his father Ron was stationed with the United States Air Force at Châtearoux Déols Air Base. When Joe was a teen and while Ron was stationed in Alaska, Joe was sent to live with his maternal aunt and uncle, Rena and Don Cowels of Cuba, N.Y. They all later relocated to Scott Avenue in Wellsville, where Joe graduated from Wellsville High School in 1974, participating in band as a trumpet player, in various sports and as a member of the ski team.

    Joe enlisted in the United States Army in 1974 to be an Infantryman with the Airborne Ranger option, and retired in July of 1988, having served in a variety of assignments during his military career.

    Joe was an original member of the 1st Battalion (Ranger), 75th Infantry at Fort Stewart, Georgia, where he served in Bravo Company from 1974 – 1977. He was reassigned to serve as an instructor in the Army's Northern Warfare Training Center from 1977 – 1979, and then as an instructor with the 2nd Ranger Training Company, 5th Ranger Training Battalion (the Mountain phase of Ranger School) in Dahlonega, Georgia, from 1979 – 1984. Joe returned to the 75th Rangers from April 1984 through May 1986 as part of the initial cadre for the 3rd Ranger Battalion. Joe again returned to be an instructor in the 2nd Ranger Training Company/Mountain Ranger Camp from May 1986 – July 1988.

    In August 1988, Joe returned to the 3rd Ranger Battalion, where he served as the Alpha Company First Sergeant until February 1991. While there, he participated in the combat jump during Operation Just Cause (the December 1989 invasion of Panama) and Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in southern Turkey/ northern Iraq (January 1991). When he left the Ranger Regiment in 1991, Joe had served in every noncommissioned officer leadership position from team leader through first sergeant during his service with the Regiment.

    Joe then had a succession of important assignments, to include Operations NCO for the 3rd Battalion, 325th Infantry (Task Force Lion), Vincenza, Italy (1991-3); the US Army Sergeants Major Course, Fort Bliss, TX (1993); 2d Squadron, 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, TX (1993-4); 3rd Battalion, 22d Infantry Regiment (reflagged in 1995 as 2d Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment), 25th Infantry Division, Fort Shafter, HI (1994 – 6). CSM Mattison culminated his military career as the Command Sergeant Major for the Mountain Ranger Camp in July 1988.

    His military awards include Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (fourth award), Joint Services Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal (sixth award), Joint Service Achievement Medal, Army Achievement Medal (fifth award), Joint Meritorious Unit Award, Army Good Conduct Medal (eighth award), National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with arrowhead device, Southwest Asia Service Medal (with one bronze service star), Humanitarian Service Medal (second award), Noncommissioned officer's Professional Development Ribbon with numeral 4, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon (3rd award), Expert Infantryman Badge, Combat Infantryman Badge, (with combat service in Grenada in October 1983 and in Panama in December 1989), Master Parachutist Badge (with one bronze combat jump star),  Pathfinder Badge, and the Ranger Tab.

    Joe was a life member of the United States Army Ranger Association and is the 110th member of the Ranger Hall of Fame. Joe was also a life member of the 82nd Airborne Division Association, life member Veterans of Foreign Wars, life member of the American Legion, a member of the Sons of Mosby Motorcycle Association, and the founder of The Order of Roger's Rangers.

    Joe always considered Wellsville his hometown. In 1998 he settled in Wellsville, and went back to college to earn a degree in Nursing. He became a registered nurse for Jones Memorial Hospital, and later an ED/ICU Nurse for the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Bath, New York. When his mother-in-law was diagnosed as terminally ill, Joe temporarily relocated to Newington, Georgia, to care for her until her death. While in Newington, Joe served as a volunteer firefighter with his son, Adam, and his ex-wife Janet. When Joe returned to Wellsville, he worked as a supervising registered nurse at Wellsville Manor. Joe was also a member of the Wellsville Rod and Gun Club.

    Joe will be cremated and his ashes will be interned at the Wellsville Cemetery in the spring. The celebration of Joe's life will be held at the Wellsville VFW on the afternoon of Saturday February 11, 2017. Additional memorial celebrations may be held in Georgia for active duty and retired military members at another time. 

    CSM Mattison is survived by his three children, Samantha (Mattison) Wagner, Adam J. Mattison, and Shiloh D. Mattison; his aunt, Rena I. Cowles; cousins, Don and Cathy (Barnes) Adams and Bill and Kari (Cowles) Hurley. Joe was predeceased by his father and mother, Ronald A. and Earsol M. Mattison.

    Residents of Allegany County may please contribute an honorarium in honor of Joe to the Wellsville American Legion Auxiliary.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 

US Army Ranger Association, Inc.

P.O. Box 52126

Fort Benning, GA 31995-2126

Copyright © US Army Ranger Association · All rights reserved