PURPOSE: The USARA Michael B. Ranger Legacy Scholarship Program is a memorial to selfless service and contributions made to our country by USARA members. These awards are given in their honor. This program provides an opportunity to provide financial assistance to qualified dependents of USARA members in furthering their education. The Scholarship Committee seeks to award scholarships to applicants displaying the potential for a degree in higher education, whether it is technical, university or professional. Each year the Scholarship Committee evaluates the scholarship applicants and selects the most outstanding submissions to be awarded a USARA Legacy Scholarship.
POLICY: Provide financial grants to students who are currently or plan to attend an accredited college, university, or higher technical trade school as a full-time student.
- The USARA Legacy Scholarship Program is not an entitlement or automatically approved. The scholarship is awarded to Qualified Dependents, as defined below, of USARA members based on merit.
- Scholarship awards are granted annually; applicants must apply each year and no recipient may exceed four awards. The maximum cumulative amount any individual may receive shall be $5000.
- Siblings may apply and be awarded scholarships, but the Scholarship Committee reserves the right to prioritize awarding available scholarships to multiple families.
- All efforts are made to avoid appointing members to the Scholarship Committee that are likely to have family members apply. However, in the event that it is discovered that a Scholarship Committee member is related to an applicant, the committee member must excuse himself from rating or discussing the applicant.
- If the applicant has been awarded a scholarship and for any reason decides not to study as planned, the scholarship must be returned in full. If time allows, the next qualified applicant may then be awarded a scholarship.
- If the awardee is faced with a medical condition and cannot continue at school, all efforts should be made by the student to obtain a refund and return the unused portion to USARA. He/she may apply again at a later date. A letter from a doctor should be sent to the Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship awards funds are to assist with academic expenses at the attending University/School and will be disbursed directly to the individual awardees to assist with tuition, books, fees, supplies, and room and board.
FUNDING: The scholarship program is supported by voluntary donations from USARA members and public donations. The number of Scholarships to be awarded annually will vary. However, the scholarships will generally not exceed $3000 nor be no less than $1,000 per individual award.
ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be a Qualified Dependent of the USARA member.
Qualified Dependent is defined as a child; grandchild or great-grand child of a USARA member (included those legally adopted) who is under the age of 30 at the beginning of the academic year. Spouses of Active Duty soldiers are also defined a Qualified Dependents, provided the soldier is a USARA member as defined below. In addition, the applicant:
Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale.
Must be, or plan to be, a full time student or part-time student who must work during school (Part- time students are expected to take at least 9 semester hours or equivalent and be working or to furnish an acceptable reason to the Scholarship Committee, in order to be / remain eligible for the USARA Legacy Scholarship). The program does not apply to second undergraduate degrees or graduate level courses.
USARA Member for this program is defined as:
An individual who at the time of scholarship application has been a Regular Member (Annual or Life) of USARA in good standing for a minimum of one year prior to the application submission; or
A deceased Regular Member (Annual or Life) of USARA who was in good standing at the time of his death.
Honorary and Associate USARA members do not qualify for purposes of this program.
or send check donation to:
U. S. Army Ranger Association, Inc.
Attn: Michael B. Ranger Legacy Scholarship Fund
P.O. box 52126
Fort Benning, GA 31995-2126